Mayonnaise is one of the simplest of food items to be made at home. It can be prepared within a few minutes and with just 4-5 ingredients.
Today we are going to talk about classical French mayonnaise.
1 egg (at room temperature)
1 cup oil
1 teaspoon mustard
½ tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoon vinegar
Black pepper powder (a pinch)
Salt to taste
- Break egg into a bowl and add mustard, lemon juice, sugar, pepper powder and salt.
- Blend the above mixture with an electric beater. However, if you do not have an electric beater, you can use your mixer to do the same.
- Add 2-3 tablespoon oil to the mixture and blend well. You will find that the mixture had already started thickening. The process of adding oil into it is called “emulsification”.
- Slowly keep adding the remaining oil and blend continuously until it becomes thick and creamy.
- Finally, add vinegar to it and mix well.
- Your mayonnaise is ready to be served.
Many people make it using egg yolk only, but I personally like to have it this way. The use of mustard in the recipe gives a classical French touch since French people like to add mustard in almost all of their sauces.
You can experiment with this recipe by adding fresh garlic or probably mint or sweet basil.
You can use it as a dip, in sandwiches, burgers and in many other ways. All the ingredients used in this recipe can be found easily in almost every Indian household.
Wasting hundreds of rupee on this simple and quick recipe really doesn’t make sense. So do try out this recipe at home and send us your valuable feedback in the comment section.