Foccacia- a flat Italian bread
Foccacia is a flat Italian bread which is similar in style and texture to pizza dough. It is seasoned with olive oil, Italian herbs and may be topped with olives, cheese or other ingredients. It may be used as a pizza base, sandwich bread or as a side dish.
1 ½ cup Maida
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp Italian seasoning and chilli flakes
2 ½ tsp active dry yeast
1 tbsp powdered/ icing sugar
½ + ¼ cup water
25 ml refined oil
Milk and butter to brush
1. In a microwave safe bowl take yeast, sugar and ¼ cup water, microwave on high for 12 seconds.
2. Keep this covered for 10 minutes till the mixture is frothy.
3, In a deep and wide plate mix together maida and salt
4. Add yeast mixture and remaining water to this.
5. Knead for around 10 minutes till dough is stretchy, add oil and knead again.
6. Form a ball and keep it in a greased bowl, covered for 35-45 minutes to rise.
7. Punch back the dough once and slightly knead.
8. Brush with milk, bake in a 200 degrees preheated oven for 20-30 minutes.
9. Brush with butter and serve.